Curse of the Crafter

Curse of the Crafter

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Eye of Newt Design Team Project

I am so excited to share my first Design Team Project! It was so hard to make a choice on what to complete first and actually cut into these gorgeous papers.


I have been wanting to make a potion/apothecary bottle for years. So when a friend of ours dropped off a few bottles to recycle, inspiration struck!

   
I began by cleaning the bottle really well. I dried and polished it with my Norwex polishing cloth as I have found that it gives the best shine and polish for glass, mirrors, etc. I wanted a cracked/old appearance so I applied some Modge Podge as a base. After that dried, I applied some Rock Candy Crackle Paint. I used it liberally so the cracks would be very visible. I gave it some extra time to dry to ensure the crackle wouldn't smudge, peel or tear as I began to work with the bottle. 

I give the bottle an aged appearance I applied some Walnut Stain Distress Ink. You can see above the difference with and without the stain. Once the bottle was prepped, I wanted to try a few techniques with some items from my craft room and really make the bottle look different. 

I used some Art C black molding paste I picked up at Michael's on the sides of the bottle with a stencil I purchased at a local craft store. 


I really love the way this started to transform the bottle. The most difficult piece of this project was figuring out how to make the eye open on the front of the bottle. I really wanted it to look attractive and normal at first glance with a little interactive surprise upon further inspection. I ended up using a template and technique from the book Playing with Pop-Ups: The Art of Dimensional, Moving Paper Designs by Helen Hiebert. I used my 1/4 inch Scortape to adhere the paper to the bottle. It is one of my favorite adhesives along with one of the items I have to restock the most lol. 

 
The paper really makes the look of this project. I used the Wicked Times paper collection by Marion Smith. I was so excited when I found out that Country Craft Creations (  www.countrycraftcreations.com ) was going to be sending this paper for my projects this month. The purple and orange flower paper was perfect to draw the attention so the eye can open and really surprise the viewer. A picture can also be added instead of eye as a great hidden surprise. I used a tear dropped shape gem from Marion's Junque & Gems line as the tab to open and close the eye. I really looks gorgeous. I cut out the "NEWT" and other embellishments from her cut apart page in the collection. The Genuine Miraculous sticker is from a set of Recollection stickers I purchased last year at Michael's. I added the googley eyes to really give it an "eye" of newt theme. 

        

To finish up the side of the bottle, I cut out a small piece from the cut apart sheet out. It fit perfectly to add just a little more dimension. I also used a small Tim Holtz metal skull and crossbones on top of a paper clay embellishment I handmade. The last piece to this project was to add something to the top. I used a ping pong ball and created the eye with a green and black marker. I used some red and pink glue sticks with my hot glue gun to cover the base and give it a more gruesome Halloween look. I added some hemp rope secured with Scortape and a Jolee's spider sticker to finish off the middle section. 
  
Finally, to add some age I covered the project with baking cocoa. 

I hope you enjoyed the additional information on this really fun project. I really love the versatility of this paper. I have a few more surprises in store this month so please be sure to check back! 

Make sure to swing by Country Craft Creations for some great deals on this paper collection as well as quite a few others! 
https://www.facebook.com/tammyscountrycraftcreations

Supplies:
Marion Smith Wicked Times Paper Collection
Marion Smith Junque & Gems
1/4 inch Scortape
Modge Podge
Distress Crackle Paint Clear Rock Candy
Distress Ink Walnut Stain
Art C Molding Paste
The Crafters Workshop Ronda Palazzari 6x6 Stencil Template
Red Glue Stick
Pink Glue Stick
Ping Pong Ball
Tim Holts Metal Skull and Crossbones
Jolee's Boutique Glitter Spider Stickers
Recollections Potion Label Sticker
Small Googley Eyes
Baking Cocoa

Dimensions:
The bottle stands about 14 inches tall and is 5 inches across the base. The paper eye that opens and closes is 2 inches by 2 inches.

XOXO,
Lish

No comments:

Post a Comment